Monday, September 30, 2013

It's Time to Catch Up

2013 has come with more than its fair share of excitement for our family.  It has been so exciting/overwhelming/busy/crazy that 9 months have passed since I have made the time to journal or write down anything.  So to begin the catch up process, here is what we've been up to.

We began the year contemplating purchasing a home.  We started looking and seemed quite discouraged at the beginning, but suddenly found ourselves in discussion to buy a desirable home in the area we wanted for a price we were comfortable spending.  We were truly blessed and have since found ourselves often talking about how lucky we are.  So after 8 years of moving, we are really here for good.  We signed papers in June and Eric moved all of our belongings into the house in July while the kids and I were visiting California.  We have loved having our own space and especially our own yard to play in.

Eric is as busy as ever.  Work has been going well and keeping him plenty busy and worn out at the end of the day.  He finished the winter and spring semester of school and was grateful for a short break before he began again at the beginning of September.  When he's not working or studying, he's filling his time on new house projects and playing with the kids.

Savannah finished off kindergarten with a bang and I'm not sure she was happy to stay home for summer vacation.  She was thrilled to move on to 1st grade and even more excited to have her best friend in class with her again.  They sit next to each other in class, which seems like a horrible choice, but they are so quiet and obedient so that they do not get into trouble.  Savannah has been amazing at helping Vanessa become adjusted to school.  She is always writing letters to people, trying to be helpful or reading.  She breezes through 2-3 chapter books per day.  I can't keep up with her requests for more books!

Vanessa is growing up so quickly.  She finished off preschool and was happy to stay home with her mom every day of summer.  She participated in a dance class this spring which she enjoyed until recital time.  We were all quite apprehensive about her beginning kindergarten, but there have been many little things that have made the transition bearable and even enjoyable.  She colors a few hours each day, designs beautiful drawings and loves to play all sports.  She worked incredibly hard to earn enough money to purchase her own doodling book and razor scooter.

Ethan has turned into the sweetest monster in the whole world.  He turned one, started walking, running and climbing and loves to tease.  He is a comedian at the dinner table and especially loves to pat you on the back while he gives you a hug.  He loves to torment his sisters and can yell like the best of them.  He can say dog and banana, but otherwise uses a nice or not-so-nice "uuhhh" to get everything else he wants.

I am just trying to keep up.  In February, I was called to serve as the Young Women president in our ward which was quite the shock, but I have enjoyed getting to know the young women and learning from their strong testimonies.  My Sundays, Tuesdays and many weekends have been filled with lessons, meetings, activities, a triathlon, youth conference and girls camp.  At the same time, I decided to begin teaching a children's program called "Let's Play Music."  The following months were full of training, studying, practicing and recruiting.  In August I began teaching 19 students in 3 classes and it is FUN.  We play, sing and learn tons of music theory.

And to top it off, we are adding a baby girl to our family.  I am very confident that she is coming with a distinct purpose and needs to be on the earth NOW.  She has left me sick and tired most of the summer, but we are excited to meet her and especially find out her hair color!  She will debut (sometime before) February 2.  I hope she has a name by then.

3 comments:

Stan & Lindsay said...

Holy Smokes! I feel tired just reading this! You are AMAZING!! We feel so blessed to call you guys are friends, and even more blessed to have been able to come stay with you for a weekend! Love you guys!

Myrna said...

I'm exhausted just reading your post! Can't wait to see Phoenixina... Love ya!

Nancy said...

Congratulations on the new baby! I know from personal experience what a wonderful YW President you are. Those girls (and your girls) are so blessed to have you with all your amazing talents and sweet disposition. Good luck with everything!